A maximum of 216 units is permitted for all students, regardless of the number of majors or minors completed. College undergraduate students who graduate within their time to degree [Spring or Summer of their fourth year (for direct entry admits) or Fall of their third year (for transfer admits)] may exceed the 216 unit maximum without petition.

Students who will not be graduating within their time to degree (whether they are within or exceeding unit maximum) must file a petition requesting to exceed their time to degree. We encourage students to speak with a College Advisor to discuss their academic plans and the petition process in detail. Approval of this petition is not guaranteed, and in some cases, the College may propose an alternate plan.

Please note that students exceeding their time to degree and/or unit maximum without College approval will be in violation of university regulation and ineligible for a degree from UCLA.

Additional information regarding unit calculations

  • Students with advanced placement (AP) or international baccalaureate credit (IB) may exceed the unit maximum by the amount of that credit.
  • A select number of other courses can also be taken which do not count toward the unit maximum. These courses, if taken in Winter 2004 or thereafter, include 19, 88S, 89, 89HC, M97X, 98X, 98XA, 98XB, 99, HC 101A-E, 189, 189HC, 190, 193 and 194, Education 1SL and 10SL, MATH 71SL and 72SL. These units will still count toward the minimum 180 units required for graduation.