PRE-MED & PRE-HEALTH PLANNING
What is Pre-Med and Pre-Health at UCLA?
The Pre-Med and Pre-Health curriculum at UCLA does not lead to a formal degree. Rather, it is a flexible course of study that will satisfy entrance requirements for and prepare students to pursue graduate studies in the medical or health fields. While UCLA does not have a pre-med or pre-health major, it is a top university in preparing students for various careers in the medical and health professions. Whether you are a STEM major or pursuing a degree in the Humanities/Arts/Social Sciences, there are many pathways available to you, in order to guide you through your medical and health career trajectories. We encourage you to visit UCLA’s Pre-Health website.
Most professional health programs require a general curriculum of chemistry, biology, math, and physics, which are listed in the UCLA Pre-Health Course Requirements Worksheet. This worksheet includes a recommended basic course of study for health professional schools.
UCLA provides pre-health students with a multitude of resources in advising for program planning and the admissions process. A large number of advisors are available to you at UCLA.
Academic Advisors in the College
- Visit your College advising unit for assistance with: major exploration, course planning and requirements, career exploration in pre-med and pre-health fields, research and volunteer opportunities, and making the most of your UCLA experience.
- Your advising unit can found in the upper right corner of your Degree Audit.
- Not a STEM* major? Your College Advisor can help you design a program plan to fit in your major and pre-health requirements.
- Where is my College advising unit?
CAC…………………………………..A316 Murphy Hall
Honors……………………………….A311 Murphy Hall
Athletics……………………………127 Morgan Center
AAP………………………………….1205 Campbell Hall
Departmental Academic Advisors
- STEM Major? Visit your Department Advisor for help navigating your major requirements with prehealth requirements and applying to professional school.
- Not a STEM Major? Visit Inna Gergel, Physiological Sciences Department Advisor, for advice about applying to medical school.
- For department advisor contact information, visit: our School and Department Contact List
College Academic Mentors
- CAMs are graduate students at UCLA who are trained on College academic policies and pre-health requirements. Schedule an appointment with a CAM for help with course planning to fulfill pre-health requirements.
- CAMs offer pre-health workshops (sign up through MyUCLA > Academics > Workshops).
- For more information, visit: caac.ucla.edu > Center Programs > College Academic Mentors
Career Educators at the Career Center
- Information sessions and outreach programs by medical schools – sign up via your BruinView Account.
- Mock Interviews – sign up for a mock medical school interview via your BruinView Account.
- MCAT/DAT/PCAT/OAT/GRE prep books – visit the Career Center (2nd floor) to access a library of test prep books.
- Schedule an appointment with a Career Counselor to discuss your career trajectory.
- For more information, visit www.career.ucla.edu .
For additional information about Pre-Health Requirements at UCLA and Pre-Health Resources available to students, please see our Pre-Health Requirements and Pre-Health Resources informational handouts.
For additional information about Pre-Health Resources available to students, please see our Pre-Health Resources informational handout .